Year of Establishment: 1944
With the pioneering effort of Prof. Mahesh Chandra Deva Goswami, the Philosophy department was established as one man department in the college. He was followed by Basanta Kr. Bhuyan in 1954. The Honours Course (Major) was opened in the department in1966 after joining of Prof. M. Nag. The department has been able to keep its existence felt since its inception by showing excellent performances in university examinations.